It’s been a hot minute since we got back from Colorado. The Rocky Mountains, ya’ll! It was amazing. As some of you may have seen on my Instagram feed, we were having the time of our lives!
It’s long overdue for me to share about our shenanigans!
The husband and I had been planning our trip for months and had been keeping it under wraps. After we revealed to our families we would be hitting the road after all the festivities of Christmas day, we had a last minute change (of heart) to make to the trip. We added an additional traveler: my kid sister.
You can’t tell from the picture, but to say she was excited, is an understatement.
The Highlight Reel
- My sister ended up going, what?! Total awesomeness!
- Our hotel in St. Louis and the sweet view of The Arch!
- Buffalo Bill wontcha come out tonight. This statue was super fun except we were FROZEN! I feel like it shows…
- Making sure we drove into Colorado during daylight to see those Rockies pop up over the horizon.
- COSTCO! Cause’ COLD is COLD and we needed to not be COLD!
- We took the JEEP! Made the whole trip a million times cooler, ha!
- Joe’s Kansas City BBQ. Hello, delicious! YUM! And all the other local food we ate! We tried to avoid chains, except Chick-Fil-A, of course! 🙂
- Garden Of The Gods Club – Could very well be the best hotel stay yet! I mean look at that view!
- Garden of the Gods, the actual garden. So breathtaking. It made me feel so small, just absolutely beautiful.
- Colorado Springs in general. It’s like the mountains hug you and make you feel right at home. I’ll send a “We’ve moved!” postcard when we go back! 😉
- Pikes Peak! Holy moly, people! It was INTENSE! Twenty miles to the top and it’s like you’re about to drive off the edge of the Earth! So worth it, so terrifying, so not doing that again. Been there, done that, got a Christmas ornament! (With the elevation on it!)
- Estes Park is a small town right before you get to the entrance to the Rocky Mountain National Park. It’s right out of a Christmas movie! Well, except for the whole hotel that inspired The Shining being the major architectural beauty in the mountain side. Gorgeous? Yes! Creepy? Oh yeah!
Bear Lake! So we drove to one of the peaks in the Rocky Mountain National Park with a huuuugggeee frozen lake and I have never seen so much snow in my life! It was this breathtaking winter wonderland and somehow this random drive ended up being the best part of the whole trip! We laughed, we cried, we fell in the snow, we had snowball fights! Halle built a pitiful snowman! We slid down snow slides, walked on ice, we did it all!
The Cutting Room Floor
- Kansas. I mean no hard feelings and well I feel bad for Kansas, because it didn’t get a fair deal here. It was FREEZING cold and we had to drive the entire length of the state. It was by far the longest part of our trip and well, we weren’t sad to leave it, nor were we too happy to enter it again on our way home.
- Oh and to make matters worse, the heat in the Jeep started acting up, I think Kansas froze it, so we had a pit stop at a Jeep dealership to get things checked out. We made the best of it!
- That one night on the way home when we were so flippin’ tired and we got to the hotel in FREEZING Kansas and the room’s heat didn’t work and we had to pack up all the stuff again and move rooms. Not. Cool. (Or too cool, I guess? HA!)
- The thin air at the top Pikes Peak! EEEEP!
- The WIND at the top of Pikes Peak! I mean, do you see this misery? Written all over our faces!
So, would we go back? IN A HEARTBEAT! We absolutely loved that place and we had such a blast and it was so much more fun to experience God’s beauty with my lil sis in tow.
I’m going to get real here for a minute and talk about what this trip really was for us. We have worked to pay off so much debt and we are still working the plan, but it’s SO important to celebrate your hard work. And not just that, but sometimes we all need a refresher on why we are working so hard doing what we are doing.
For us, financial freedom is so much more than a number. It’s life. It’s travel, it’s experiences, it’s being able to say, last minute, “Hey little sister, we want you to tag along with us!” and not have to worry about any added expenses or extra stress. It’s simply living life to the fullest with nothing holding us back. Without debt holding us back.
This trip was a taste of what we want to experience in our lives. It recharged us. It ensured that our 2018 started off on the right foot and we were taking on the new year in the right mindset.
All I know is there’s a lot in store for us. God’s got a plan for our lives and I wake up every single day ready for what new adventure He might bring us!
If you have a chance to experience the mountains in Colorado, DO IT! You will not regret it! Best Christmas break EVER! 🙂
Do you have a place you visit to kick-start your mojo? How do you reward yourself when you meet your goals? Sound off in the comments!